Holy Church of Saint Dimitrios- Evangelistria in Faraklata
The Holy Church of Saint Dimitrios- Evangelistria in Faraklata is one of the biggest churches in Kefalonia. The interior was completely destroyed by the German bombs and only the icon of Saint Dimitrios was saved.
It was renovated after the earthquakes in 1955 and celebrates on March 25th with many blessings of the holy bread, which are a main feature of this particular celebration.
The bell tower was destroyed in the 1953 earthquakes and a new one was built in its exact place and exactly like the old one in 1994. It was a gift from Georgios G. Kalogiratos, whose origins are from the village of Faraklata and there are 102 steps up to the bells along a height of 42metres!